Posts Tagged ‘Acid Reflux Medications’
Acid reflux is one of the problems which millions of people are facing due to various reasons. To find the right medication for acid reflux is an easy task for some people however some experience difficulty in finding the right acid reflux medication.
Presently many types of medication for acid reflux are available and now it has become easy to find the right medicines which suit you. These types of medicines help to recover from the damage caused due to acid reflux in few months. Besides medication change in life style can also act like a catalyst and you can get the desired results in a very short time. Most of the acid reflux medicines are single dose per day but its better to take advice from your doctor for proper medication.
Following are the top five medicines which are mostly used for acid reflux.
1. PRILOSEC (Omerprazole): Prilosec is one of the most famous acid reflux medicine which is also advertised commercially and due to its advertisement you might think that it is an off the shelf medicine. But for this you have to fill an OTC form, and needs doctor’s prescription as well. It is a PPI based medicines which stands for Proton Pump Inhibitor therefore it is meant to reduce the amount of acid produced in the stomach. Reduced acid quantity means your stomach valve will process fewer amounts of acids and healing effect for the damage tissues will take place. In order to achieve best results it is swallowed as a whole. Most probably this medication can take effect in just two months and proven safe however it is not tested on pregnant or nursing moms.
2. NEXIUM (esomeprazole): This is also a PPI drug like prilosec and it is also used to lower down the acid level produced in the stomach and hence reduce the adverse symptoms due to GERD or gastric reflux. Normally it is available in form of pills which are taken as a whole and for the best results it should be taken one hour before the meals. Besides pills intravenous dose is also available for especial cases. This medicine is also proven safe but as prilosec it is not yet tested on pregnant and nursing moms.
3. PREVACID (Lansoprazole): This medicine is also belongs to the PPI group it does not only reduce the acid production but also help in recovering the damaged tissues of esophagus. These pills are available in swallow type or dissolving under the tongue type. The intravenous dose is also available for those you have some problem with pills. This medicine is also not tested for pregnant or nursing mothers.
4. PROTONIX (Pantoprazole): This is also Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) medicine but it is not famous like others. Presently it is available only in pills form which has to be swallowed 30 minutes before the meals. It is not only effective against GERD but also effective for the treatment of ulcers and one can feel it’s effectiveness within two months. This medicine is also not recommended for pregnant and nursing women.
5. TAGAMET (Cimetidine): This medicine reduces the acid level by blocking histamines which are responsible for acid production. This is taken in pills form, results of this medicine on pregnant and nursing moms are still not known.
Before using any one of these medicine you must consult your doctor for proper advice and inform about all other medication. If don’t feel a quick relief by using these medicines than its better to take another opinion.